Over Amplification at Music Events
I know that 'Quiet Scotland' is about unwanted 'musak' in stores and restaurants, but there is another type of unwanted music and that is the gross over-amplification that is used by stage musicians, mainly at outdoor events, but also in theatres and - worst of all, at discos run for young children.  I was at various events in Perth at the weekend (Christmas markets, switching on of the lights etc) and the amplification used by the stage musicians was just unbearable.  It bothers me that there are going to be a lot of youngsters who will have impaired hearing in later life - yet no-one seems to do anything to enforce lower decibel levels at such events, despite awareness these days of the damage that such high noise levels can cause.
Quiet Scotland doesn't usually campaign against live music. Most of our members love music and certainly don't want to discourage the playing of live music. We campaign against enforced music which is usually electronic "muzac". 

However, you are right, Christine. The volume and over-amplification of music is becoming a huge problem and one that Quiet Scotland can certainly empathise with. I have been to weddings, for example, where bands have been playing at volumes of over 90 decibels for hours at a time. Small children are dancing in front of them. Hearing experts warn that we can suffer hearing damage if we are exposed to decibel levels of over 85 dB for just 15 minutes. I'm sure that the parents of these children have no idea of the dangers.

The damage to the hearing of younger people is beginning to come through in statistics. A recent report https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/li...15100.html stated that "Ten years ago, around 5pc of people aged under 45 were fitted with hearing aids. Now, 23pc of our hearing aids are for people under 45"

Dorothy
It's not just live music that can be far too loud. I remember the cartie races at Brechin a few years back. I was working in the museum at the time - the race was just outside, down the High Street. The music was so loud our front desk was vibrating. And there were small children, dogs etc watching the race, just underneath the loudspeakers.
Sounds awful. I experienced the same thing at Kinniel House Open Day in Bo'ness a few years ago: an outside stage with unbelievably amplified music which boomed throughout poor ancient Kinniel House as people tried to look around it. The paint was practically shaking off the walls.
I always wonder - how can these people not realise that they are actually keeping potential guests/customers away? My experience with the few cafes there are that don't play music - they are always busy. OK, some of those with music are, too, but not all. So it can't be that they depend on music to attract paying guests...
I agree. A question I always ask when complaining about "music" in shops etc. is how many people have said they won't come in because there isn't any music playing..? I for  one will often not go in because of the noise, but how many won't go in because there isn't any..?
Ria in Aberdeen  xx